Tag: DIY Projects
Marc Jacobs never looked so lovely!
I love love love this reversible fabric by Marc Jacobs.. I knew I was obtaining a great piece of fabric when three women flagged me down in Mood Fabrics to find out where I got it and had suggestions on sewing it. I really had no intention on purchasing coat fabric when I went too Mood Fabrics in August.. right who sews for fall/winter in August when the temperature still says 88? And sure enough it did not happen and I created this beauty in October when the temperature dipped! On the dominate side is this beautiful grape stripe and on the reverse side is the hot pink and the grape peeking through with small dots! Matches great with the silk top I just created also found here.
Alterations, I made the hip wider by one inch on each pattern side because I did want the coat to close or look closed. I added the huge button, there is a snap on the other side. I added three smaller matching buttons to each sleeve and omitted the huge hook and eye for the drape.
More details on the pattern creation below:
Project Review Detailed
Pattern Description: Vogue Donna Karen Collection – loose-fitting unlined coat with drape and two-piece sleeves
Pattern Used: Vogue 1129
Pattern Sizing: 14 – altered
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done? Yes, just like the pattern but with alterations
Were the instructions easy to follow? Somewhat, it became a bit confusing when it came to attaching the drape.
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I was not too happy with how the drape instructions were described
Fabric Used: Marc Jacob two sided 100% Wool from Mood Fabrics
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: Of course, had to alter the hip area
Would you sew it again? No I only need one coat like this!
First Fall/Winter Outfit Completed!
When I saw the skirt fabric in Mood Fabrics I knew I had to have it and I knew exactly what would become of it! It sewed like a dream and it has so many other colors to bring out of it. While the dominate color is charcoal, I decide to pick up on the hot pink circles and make a beautiful silk top to go with it. Koonan at Mood assisted picking out the fabric! He is such a doll! Below are my pattern reviews:
Project Review Detailed
Pattern Description: Top is McCalls loose-fitting pullover tops with gathered front neckline and the skirt is by New Look and is a set of peplum style skirts. I altered the skirt pattern to just a simple pencil skirt with back slit and overlooked the inside with the same color as the blouse. Just to give it a peek-a-boo look on the inside. Besides why keep changing serger thread.. it really worked!
Pattern Used: McCalls 6650 and New Look 6003
Pattern Sizing: Cut a 10 for the top, 14 for the skirt
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done? Yes, just like it especially the top, once you made the neckline it was easy to make the sleeve cuffs and the waistband.. they are all created the same way.
Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes, the instructions were easy and clear.
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? Nothing it constructed well
Fabric Used: Silk Crepe and 100% Boiled wool from Mood Fabrics
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: Had to alter the hip area
Would you sew it again? Yes the top and the skirt again, the top has so many variations it will never look like the same blouse!
Ok so here are the jeans that turned out OK except.. the fact that its way too low in the back! There are some other issues that appeared that I will describe below:
Pattern used: McCalls OOP 6404 slender legging pants in four styles
Fabrics used: Stretch Grey Denim from fabric.com with leather trim obtained from Michael Levine.
Pattern alterations: I took the front leg piece and divided it into four other pieces and quilted the top piece in the front and the back. I only altered the back piece into two pieces, added a gold metal zipper, and a leather band.
What should have been done:
Crotch area made higher in the back, bottom pants piece made at least three inches longer and slimmer at the bottom, the waistband increased by at least two more inches, and keep the metal zipper insertion.
I will make the pants again perhaps in another color or the same grey denim but applying the mentioned alterations.
Update: it was suggested that I remove the leather band, add a yoke with the left over quilted pieces I have and add a new leather band but larger.